Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ballets Wusses or: Adventures with my spellchecker

For the past few weeks I've been preparing a ballet appreciation course I'm calling Fokine, Nijinsky, and the Ballets Russes 1900-1920. It's a huge topic, but I've almost finished and thought I should run my spellchecker over my presentation. Suffice to say, my spellchecker's acquaintance with ballet history is shaky. Here are some of its hilarious suggested replacements for things it didn't recognize:
for Ballets Russes: a choice between Ballets Pusses, Ballets Cusses, and Ballet Wusses

for Marie Rambert: Marie Camembert

for Le Sacre du printemps: Le sucre du printouts

for Bronislava Nijinska: bronchitis hijinks
for Vaslav: Vaseline

for Karsavina: laborsaving (?)
for Bakst: baksheesh
for Petrushka: petrochemical
for Kschessinska: hairdressing  (??!!!)  or chessboard (??)
for divertissement: diverticulitis (ouch!)
for danseur: dangerous
for Mariinsky: marinade

but the all-time winner has to be poor Fokine: kookiness, smokiness, Fokker or... foreskin (its "most likely" correction). Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeremy, yes they cracked me up too. I don't even dare running Vaganova past my spellechecker...

    ReplyDelete